Welcome to Heritage-Patrimoine Cornwall
Minutes from our committee meetings
Heritage-Patrimoine Cornwall Meeting
Thurs. May 6, 2021 - Virtual ZOOM Meeting
Present: Joan Gaudreau Ginette Guy Debbie Ledoux (Chair) Carole Libbey
Don Smith Aleida Sturkenboom
Absent: Maurice Dupelle Sophie Jean
City Rep: Lindsay Parisien Alex Gatien
1. Call to order – 6:32 pm It was announced that Alex Gatien will assume the duties of City Rep.
2. Approval of Agenda & Minutes from May 8th meeting moved by J. Gaudreau, seconded by G. Guy.
3. Correspondence & Inquiries An email was sent to J.Fawthrop regarding the Capital Theatre artifacts now housed in the Library basement. It is hoped that many of these will be moved to the new art center. An email was sent to the City Clerk to post for people interested in joining the Committee pursuant to S. Lee’s resignation. Two interested people will be invited to attend the next meeting. A real estate company inquired about 521 Sydney. This property is not designated.
4. Treasurer’s Report: C. Libbey The report for April was emailed to members. The closing balance as of May 4th is $19,815. Approval of the report was moved by C. Libbey, seconded by J. Gaudreau.
5. Business Arising
a) Locomotive 17: The City has voted its intention to repeal the bylaw. Interested parties must now submit their comments and objections to the City clerk who will then forward theses to the Conservation Review Board.
b) Historic Square Mile Signage Design: L. Parisien has contacted a signage company. She will arrange for them to attend the next Heritage meeting to discuss the design
c) Heritage Plaques for non-designated properties: D. Ledoux/C. Libbey The Committee reviewed examples of plaques for 307 Sydney St. and chose one with minor changes.
d) Heritage Awards 2021 Recipients: Cogeco will be asked if interested in filming the exterior of the selected properties and later the awarding for broadcast on Community Matters.
6. New Business
a) Discussed the many city non-designated properties with heritage attributes. They will be contacted regarding availability of Heritage Plaques.
b) First Baptist Church: The owner intends to renovate for studio apartments (1 on top floor, 8 on main and 6 in basement.
c) Former Aaron Horovitz house at 219 Second St W: received an inquiry about its designation. It not being designated, information on Heritage Plaques for non-designated properties will be forwarded.
7. Next Meeting – Thurs. June 3rd, 2021
8. Adjournment – 8:20 pm