Welcome to Heritage-Patrimoine Cornwall
Dr. Fraser/Smart House
224 Second St. East
J. F. Smart, deputy Sheriff of Cornwall, erected the building circa 1883. The property was later owned by Charles Sargent, the Resident Engineer of the St. Lawrence Canal. In 1945, it became the treasured possession of Dr. S.B. Fraser.
An outstanding local example of late Victorian architecture, this two-and-a-half-storey residence features red bricks on a rusticated cut stone foundation. A gabled porch, extensive ornamental woodwork, door and window mouldings, ornamental chimneys and full gabled dormers are its exterior features.